Sunday 29 June 2008

'I was so exhausted I couldn't move'

http://www.fabulousmag.co.uk/health/index.php

'I was so exhausted I couldn't move' (On the couch with Dr Hilary Jones: Suzi Walker, Fabulous Mag, News of the World, 29 June 2008)


Every week a celeb asks our fabulous doctor for a diagnosis. This week it's TV presenter Suzi Walker, 36

Some days I wake up feeling exhausted.

My head feels cloudy, my joints hurt and the smallest decision has me in tears.

I feel so weak I can't even climb the stairs.

I have Myalgic Encephalopathy (ME), or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

For years I didn't know what was wrong with me, and at one point I felt so awful, I thought it was cancer.

My symptoms began nine years ago, after my daughter Sophie was born.

I contracted post natal pre-eclampsia, and within hours of her birth, I had a fit and went into a coma.

When I woke two days later I felt weak, and I continued to feel lethargic and achy.

Four years later my GP finally diagnosed ME but said there was no cure, which was devastating.

Over the years I've spent thousands of pounds looking for my own 'cure', from vitamin injections to faith healers, but nothing has worked.

Stress is a trigger so I try not to get too anxious.

I also try to eat well, but it can be hard if I'm feeling dreadful.

I once got so thin that I was hospitalised and had to be tube fed.

Overdoing it at the gym can cause a bad attack of fatigue.

Is there anything I can do to keep symptoms at bay?

Suzi is raising awareness for the charities Action for ME (Afme.org.uk) and ME Research UK (Meresearch.org.uk).


DR HILARY'S DIAGNOSIS

In its mildest form, ME causes physical weakness, extreme tiredness, emotional and psychological distress, sleep disturbance and depression.

At its worst, it is totally disabling, making people bed-bound and dependent on others.

Although there is no 'cure', it usually improves with time and there are things you can do that can help.

First, graded exercises with realistic goals and plenty of rest in-between builds stamina.

Then cut out caffeine and alcohol and take extra magnesium and omega-3 fatty acid supplements.

An anti-inflammatory tablet like ibuprofen can ease joint and muscle pains and headaches, while talking therapy and antidepressants can lift mood.

The good news is that ME usually disappears within a few years on its own.

But in the meantime, joining a local support group and learning how to handle stress effectively can make a world of difference.


If you would like to reply to Dr Hilary Jones , the News of the World letters e-mail address is
your.letters@notw.co.uk

No comments: