Saturday 26 April 2008

Letter to Mr McGimpsey - April 2008

Dear Mr Mc Gimpsey, following my recent interview with UTV Life on Wednesday 9th April 2008. I did not take the decision to allow David to be filmed lightly.
David is unaware that this happened.

I am extremely annoyed about comments made by the Department of Health which stated that they do not fund ME. This is an insult to me as a mum and carer of my 15 year old child who has just entered his 4th year of living with this dreadful illness, to my family and to the 6,999 other people living with ME in Northern Ireland.

I am writing to you once again to ask Why proper Bio-medical Funding is not being made. This is an absolute disgrace that we are now into 2008 and my son David now 15 is housebound to the extent bedbound.

The W.H.O ( World Health Organisation) classifies M.E. as a neurological illness yet there is one outpatients clinic in the City hospital run by a psychiatrist . We do not have one medical doctor experienced or educated in the treatment of M.E.

Why are ME sufferers only being offered this service? WHAT WE WANT IS A CURE.

Why are there no services available for young children and adolescents in Belfast?

My priorities with regards to ME:
Help my son live day to day and relieve the pain and suffering he is enduring even as you read this.
Raise awareness of the neurological disorder ME
Raise money for Biomedical Research into ME (because the government won’t give any).

I am writing to you today and asking you for a face to face meeting to
express my disgust at the level of care provided to ME patients in Northern Ireland and the Department of Health’s continued apathy towards them.

My only hope is for David to get well, he cannot do this alone, please support him and our family in our continued struggle to free David from this prison that he finds himself in – support biomedical research into ME.

This is indeed a NATIONAL SCANDAL.

Hoping to hear from you.

No comments: